Saturday, January 08, 2011

Cincinnati 66, Xavier 46

This game was Thursday, and was as uncompetitive a Crosstown Shootout as I can remember.

I think Cincy, undefeated but relatively untested, might be the real deal. I've seen Xavier a few times this year and they aren't as good as we've grown accustomed to over the past few seasons, but I was really impressed with Cincy's two big kids, Yancy Gates and Ibrahima Thomas. They both can score, rebound, and defend, and have good chemistry on the high-low. Gates also hit a pair of impressive fadeaway jumpers from 15-plus feet where he caught the ball in the post, faced up, took a couple dribbles backwards, then put up a good-looking, high-arcing shot. It reminded me a bit of late-career Karl Malone, though there's a chance I'm mis-remembering Malone.

As for the Musketeers, I've been really unimpressed with point guard Tu Holloway, the junior whose scoring average has jumped this season. He can put the ball in the basket, but he uses a ton of possessions, doesn't create for his teammates, and seems to lack the poise and leadership qualities you need out of a point guard. He picked up a technical foul against the Bearcats, was constantly looking to the officials for calls he didn't deserve, and I remember at least one instance of him yelling at a teammate who didn't catch one of his passes.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home